New year, same old me

It is easy to understand why people would be so desirous to start afresh and reinvent a new version of themselves as a way of feeling in control. With summative season upon the horizon, internship deadlines coming to a close and graduation feeling likes it’s just around the corner, the urge to completely reinvent a new self capable of taking on these new trials and tribulations feels all too tempting. However, reinvention acts as the barrier to reflection. That terrible essay mark you received last year? Doesn’t effect the new you.  That internship you didn’t get, that doesn’t matter for this new you. Except it should. 

Improvement doesn’t always have to come from reinvention

It is always a tempting thought to want to start over,  restore to factory settings and create a new version of ourselves, but this prohibits reflection and growth. How do we measure growth if we’re constantly restarting the second the calendar hits 1 January? It is easier to create new realities than it is to consider previous ones, because new realities haven’t come to fruition and thus we still have control and power. However, that power is renounced the second we begin to reflect because reactions that manifest from past events are involuntary and beyond our power of control. Therefore it is easier to give into the belief that we have control than it is to renounce it.

I believe the ‘new year, new me’ to be damaging because it allows people to escape reflection and contemplating previous choices and actions. It suggests that the past self is of less importance because it exists beyond our control, whereas our future self is governed by control. But how can the past self be of less importance when it is because of them that we are who we are? Improvement doesn’t always have to come from reinvention. Improvement comes from reflection and revision. It comes from reconsidering different paths of thought from your past in order to navigate paths of the future. The past is there to help not to hinder and I think the ‘new year, new me’ sentiment does an injustice to its importance. 

From concerts to art exhibitions, there is something for everyone

Indigo’s purpose is to facilitate artistry and individuality, providing students a creative outlet to ignite artistic passions. This will not change as we enter the new year, in fact this is a sentiment that will only strengthen as the years pass us by. As one of two new Indigo editors, I am proud to say Indigo’s first print edition of 2023 does not steer away from this attitude either. On page 6, Stage share how their love for theatre started, and on page 13, Food and Drink look at the damaging effects the ‘new year, new me’ mindset has on food. As part of Indigo’s commitment to spotlight the creative arts, it brings me great pleasure to announce the inclusion of an Events Calendar, filled with a plethora of creative events and exhibitions to get involved in and ignite passions. From concerts to art exhibitions, there is something for everyone! 

Illustration: Anna Kupstova