New Elvet Bridge set to reopen next month

New Elvet Bridge, which closed on the 20th of July 2020 for repairs, is expected to re-open in October. The reopening was planned for this September but was delayed due to the extensive concrete repairs required.

Work carried out on the bridge has included the complete removal of the southern joint, repairs to the northern joint, extensive concrete repairs, waterproofing, and the construction of drainage works.

“I know that people are keen to see the bridge reopened and I would like to thank all businesses, residents and visitors for their continued patience whilst we undertake these essential repairs.”

-Councillor john shuttleworth

Work on the bridge is now in the final phase; this will include applying protective coatings, road surfacing, paving footpaths, installing lighting, removal of the suspended access platforms, and the continued installation of the electronic concrete protection system.

The length of the bridge’s closure has been criticised by members of the Durham community, with some local businesses alleging that reduced footfall as a result of the closure has led to less trade.

New Elvet Bridge was built to relieve traffic from Old Elvet Bridge in 1975. Before the 2020 closure, the bridge was crossed by an estimated 17,000 vehicles daily.

“Additional work is still required before the bridge can safely reopen to vehicles and pedestrians.”

-Durham county council

Councillor John Shuttleworth said: “Work on the bridge is progressing well and in the coming weeks people will notice a visual change in the appearance of the bridge compared to pre-works, with a brighter, textured finish, as we near the end of the project. 

“However, there is still work to be done to ensure the bridge remains fit for purpose and to ensure that more extensive work won’t be needed in the future, but we are on track to reopen New Elvet Bridge in October. I know that people are keen to see the bridge reopened and I would like to thank all businesses, residents, and visitors for their continued patience whilst we undertake these essential repairs.”

Image: Durham County Council