New Durham bus station opens to the public

The newly rebuilt Durham Bus Station on North Road finally opened to the public on Sunday, following several months of delays. The project, which began with the demolition of the former bus station in 2021, with an original planned opening date of “Summer 2023”.

have previously said that the £10.4 million project was necessary as the station is a “major transport hub for the region and the county” and the original bus station, built in 1970, “needed updating”. 

During the redevelopment, temporary bus stops were placed along North Road, which was said to cause disruptions to local businesses on the road. Some, such as the Bean Social Café, turned to crowdfunding to keep afloat during the redevelopment.

On their website, said: “The new station is located on the site of the former bus station and is a modern transport hub that offers a safe and welcoming space for residents and visitors. 

It has increased space for passengers and new facilities including toilets, a changing places unit, improved information displays and additional seating in the passenger waiting area

“It has increased space for passengers and new facilities including toilets, a changing places unit, improved information displays and additional seating in the passenger waiting area. 

“Plus it has an office space where security, cleaning, neighbourhood warden staff, representatives from Durham Constabulary and Arriva, will all be based.

“Bus users can more find information on where to go for their buses at the new station by visiting the website.

“Works will continue on North Road to reinstate the road and footpath where the temporary bus stops were placed and this is expected to be completed in the spring.”

Local figures reacted positively to the news that the station has finally opened for use, with City of Durham MP Mary Foy stating on social media that “Our city desperately needs and deserves this”.