Moving towards the great unknown

In 1923 writer, dancer and choreographer Nellie Campobello arrived in Mexico City. Campobello produced a body of literary work consisting of poetry and short-story collections, from Cartucho (1931) to Los manos de mamá (1937). Both first-person accounts of conflict, Campobello’s writing is vivid and accessible. I fell in love with her writing before coming to Durham, inspiring my very first article for Palatinate if you’re willing to dig deep enough on the website. It’s an understatement to say that a lot has changed since that first article, though my love of Campobello remains.

It’s an odd time to work in the arts, let alone arts journalism. STEM is supposedly the future, and my history degree doesn’t seem to be quite cutting it. It goes without saying that I’ve doubted my investment in the industry on countless occasions. My brain dips between disillusionment with the concept of art criticism, fear about limited job security, and the self-doubt inherent in any uncertain post-graduation plans. Despite all these concerns, it oddly doesn’t take that long for me to remember why I love the arts. Take me to a cinema, gig, gallery, second-hand bookshop or theatre, crowded with people who’ve put their phone screens aside for several hours of pure, unadulterated fascination, and I’m hooked.

It’s an odd time to work in the arts, let alone arts journalism

It’s cinema that really stole my heart at Durham. Frequent trips to Gala or Newcastle’s Tyneside Cinema provided an important reminder of the arts’ uniting power post-pandemic. It was therefore worrying to discover that the latter establishment is struggling financially and facing potential closure. Founded in 1937, the same year that Campobello published Los manos de mamá, Tyneside Cinema is imbued with history, providing the perfect spot for independent and world cinema. Whilst fundraising plans will hopefully ensure Tyneside’s survival, it’s a stark reminder that the current social climate has thrown the arts into flux.

However, in spite of the jokes about my supposedly inevitable unemployment, I’ll take my movies any day of the week. As I make plans for the future, it’s time to move on in good spirits.

My love of the arts has only been enhanced by my time at Palatinate. I’ve seen the paper’s leadership shift over my two and a half years on the editorial board, and every Editor-in-Chief I’ve worked under has been different but equally brilliant.Working as Indigo Editor these past two terms has been a pleasure. Thank you to Cameron, Nicole, Dan, Emily and the whole Indigo team who’ve all been so supportive and such good friends. It’s made entering a world of uncertainty seem much less daunting. I’d also like to thank all my non-Pal friends (especially my housemates) who have to deal with me constantly going on about the paper. Their obsession with the Puzzles page has practically kept our print cycle afloat…

This final print edition of the year is packed with summer inspiration and nostalgia. From a deep-dive into the Student Art Prize provided by Visual Arts, to Books’ analysis of Durham’s reading habits, there’s definitely something for everyone. On behalf of Indigo’s editors, I hope you enjoy it.

Cameron and I would also like to take the opportunity to thank graduating members of Indigo’s editorial board. Melissa, Theo, Annie, Ruhee, Caitlin, Isabella, Tom, Eve, Siobhan, Roshni and Alice – you’ve all been outstanding. Indigo would not be such a brilliant hub of creative writing, books, style, music, food, features and film without you.