Megan Croll elected DSU President

Megan Croll has been elected President of Durham Students’ Union (DSU) for the academic year 2017/18. The incumbent St Cuthbert’s JCR President defeated in a final round of voting by 1,874 to 1,709 votes. The other results are as follows:

Postgraduate Academic Officer: Sabrina Seel

Opportunities Officer: Charlie Walker

Welfare and Liberation Officer:

4,207 voted out of a possible 20,219, marking an overall turnout of 20.8 per cent.

Croll, who was not present at the result announcement in the Riverside Bar on Thursday, campaigned on a manifesto that had three main themes: “Value for Money, Student Consultation and Common Room Support”. Neither were newly elected Sabrina Seel or in attendance.

In response to his victory Charlie Walker, Opportunities Officer-Elect, said: “Really big thank you to my campaign team who worked so hard, my boyfriend Dom who has seen me through a number of emotional crises, and to all my friends who have been here with me through this, thank you so much”.

Alice Dee, current DSU President, brought the evening to a close: “I would just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone again for running in the election. Having run an election campaign myself, it was probably one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do. Everyone poured their absolute heart and soul into it, so well done. You all thoroughly deserved every single vote that you got”.

Due a lack of candidates, the election for next year’s DSU Undergraduate Academic Officer, is yet to run. Nominations close on 1 March at 17:00.

Photograph: DSU