McDonald's

McDonald’s in Gilesgate set to open in May

A new McDonald’s in Durham is set to open in St Andrew’s Park, Gilesgate, with the fast food restaurant confirming May for the opening date. 

Plans for a McDonald’s in Gilesgate were first revealed in 2018. Currently, the nearest McDonald’s to Durham city centre is at the Arnison Centre. The chain’s new restaurant will be almost a mile closer to the centre of town.

“We are delighted to be opening this new restaurant and we’re so looking forward to getting to know more of the local community.”

A McDonald’s spokesperson said: “We are delighted to be opening this new restaurant and we’re so looking forward to getting to know more of the local community.

“We’d like to thank our hardworking crew and our new customers in advance for their support and patience as we continually adapt to the safest ways of working during the pandemic.”

The new McDonald’s has requested a ‘late night refreshment’ license from Durham County council, which, if granted, will allow the restaurant to operate from the hours of 11pm-5am, as well as normal daytime hours, seven days a week.

The restaurant will have a drive-thru and, initially, only takeaway will be on offer with no sit-in option for customers, as per Covid-19 regulations. Strict social distancing measures have been guaranteed in both kitchen and service areas, including two-metre floor markings, perspex screens, and PPE for employees. 

Image via Getty Images