Man found with stab wound on Mitchell Street

By Saniya Saraf, and

Police have launched a murder investigation after a man died in Durham City this morning.

Mitchell Street and the bus station are cordoned off after reports that a 41-year-old man was found with a “stab wound”, a Durham Police spokesperson told the Northern Echo.

Police received a call at 8:30am. According to the North East Ambulance Service, two double-crewed ambulances, a Hazardous Response Team, a rapid-response paramedic, and a specialist paramedic were all dispatched to the scene.

The street and its surrounding area have now been closed. Both directions of the A690 Sutton Street between Allergate and North Road have been blocked. The sections of North Road leading up to the A690 Roundabout and bus station are also shut.

The bus station is currently out of order as the police have requested that the public stay away from the location.

According to a student living on Mitchell Street, “I saw a white tent when I was walking home and was told by police I couldn’t go back to my house. All the streets around are closed off and we haven’t been told who was involved, whether it was a student or someone else.”

Another student living on the street said: ” “It’s very scary to think that something this severe could happen on the doorstep of a largely student populated street. We aren’t able to leave our house for the moment so all we can do is wait for further information, but it’s all very frightening”

“The police have cordoned off our street and we’re not allowed to come out. There’s a tent up at the end of the road covering up the incident, and people in white suits have been milling around.”

Formal identification has yet to take place, but police believe they know the identity of the deceased. A post-mortem examination will take place in due course.

Detective Chief Superintendent Adrian Green, who is leading the investigation, said: “I would like to speak to anyone who was in the area between 7am and 8.30am today and saw anything that could help our investigation.”

Image: Malc MacDonald via Creative Commons