Man dies after reportedly jumping from Durham viaduct

A man has died after falling from the railway viaduct in Durham City.

Police were called to the scene shortly after 11.30am on Wednesday 25th March, after receiving reports of a man jumping from the viaduct.

A police spokeswoman said: “We were called after reports of a sudden death. The British Transport Police and other emergency services were also in attendance.”

Police have noted no suspicious circumstances and the incident is being treated as a suspected suicide.

Formal identification has yet to take place, but it is understood that efforts are being made to contact the individual’s next of kin.

Police have noted no suspicious circumstances

A student living in the viaduct area, who is currently in Durham, told Palatinate: “I went out of my house at noon today to do my grocery shopping.”

“I saw a number of police and a tent. Whilst waiting outside Robinson’s [on North Road], a local resident told me someone had jumped from the viaduct.”

The A690 was closed off between the Hopper House Roundabout, where the incident took place, and the A691 Framwellgate Peth junction for several hours, but reopened at around 4pm.

County Durham, sadly, is not unfamiliar with suicides by jumping from the railway viaduct. The last incident of this kind in Durham City was the suicide of a 16-year-old boy in 2014.

Image: Raymond Knapman via Wikimedia Commons