Library café closed until Epiphany term 2019

By Clara Gaspar

The Bill Bryson Library’s eDen and café will be closed until Epiphany term 2019, due to “extensive remodelling” work on the site.

The changes in the library are part of the wider Queen’s campus relocation process which will see a significant increase in students using the library. The University has said that the work will mean that “students and Library users will benefit from an improved Library space and catering provision.”

The Library café is set to be relocated and expanded in the eDen, with more furniture to host a larger number of students.

While the café is closed, students have been advised to use catering facilities in the Lower Mountjoy area, including the Calman Café, Palatine Café and Chemistry Café.

The University have also stated that an additional coffee cart will be placed outside the Library during weekdays.

In April, the library was equipped with 100 new study spaces in order to accommodate a growing number of students.

The University now plans to add a a further 100 study spaces to be added in the West Wing of Level 1 as well as 4 new accessible study rooms with improved disability support study space on Level 1.

The rest of the library will undergo reorganisation in order to increase the number of study desks. Further space will be created by the relocation of book collections and the transfer of low use books to an off-site store.

The IT service desk will also be moved to the existing Library café space.

Photograph: Durham University