Don't let anyone tell you that Jeremy Corbyn wasn't there. He was this close to me. Diane Abbott can also be seen in the background.

Labour anti-Semitism row continues

by

Labour is “sickeningly, institutionally racist”, and yet “until Jeremy Corbyn became its leader in 2015, (the party) did not have a problem with anti-Jewish racism”. These are the views of Luciana Berger and Joan Ryan, two of the former Labour MPs who were so repulsed by the gutter they believe Labour is inhabiting that they risked their careers and reputations to leave it.

Corbyn claims he has been the subject of misunderstanding or some sort of ‘establishment’ stitch-up. However, a poll conducted by the Jewish Chronicle, which found that 85% of a sample of British Jews believe Corbyn to be an anti-Semite, casts doubt on these claims.

Corbyn claims he has been subject to misunderstanding or an ‘establishment’ stitch-up

Last week’s revelation that he described a virulently anti-Semitic book as a “great tome” is just the latest in a long line of instances where Corbyn’s actions have been called into question. Behind the visage of a kindly old man trying to forge a “kinder politics” is the snarling face of UKIP-esque bigotry.

He publicly supported a mural that depicted hook-nosed figures playing monopoly on the backs of the working-class. He questioned whether Zionists (a word he has long used euphemistically) could understand “English irony”. He was “present but not involved” at a wreath-laying ceremony in memory of terrorist who murdered 11 Israelis. And now this foreword.

Corbyn has put his name to a book that asks “does anyone seriously suppose that a great war could be undertaken by any European state, or a great state loan subscribed, if the house of Rothschild and its connections set their face against it?”. The idea of a cartel of Jewish bankers controlling the world clearly fits into one of the IHRA definitions of anti-Semitism being “the myth about a world Jewish conspiracy or of Jews controlling the media, economy, government or other societal institutions.”

A spokespersonfor Corbyn has said that he saw the anti-Semitism in the book but thought it was “reasonable” not to mention it in his foreword.

This is clearly complete nonsense. If Corbyn cared about anti-Semitism he would have run a mile from the barest association with the book, let alone write a foreword that praises it so sycophantically and that totally ignores the central, racist element.

Corbyn recasts himself as a victim

Each time Corbyn’s racism is outed he recasts himself as the victim. No amount of bluff and bluster about not tolerating “anti-Semitism or any other form of racism for that matter” can disguise this viewpoint from emerging.

A vote for Labour is a vote for Corbyn, and a vote for Corbyn is a vote for someone who most British Jews think is a racist. Remember that the next time you’re in the polling booth.

Image from Gary Knight via Flickr

2 thoughts on “Labour anti-Semitism row continues

• So Corbyn wrote a foreword to Hobson’s book – that’s true, and it is hardly commendable – but why aren’t the Blairites condemning New Labour frontmen for citing and quoting Hobson as well?

And if Corbyn was trying to be anti-Semitic, he didn’t exactly get the stereotype right. The image of “uneducated brutes” which Corbyn was supposedly implying hardly is in line with the “evil genius take over the world” narrative of any true anti-Semite. Incidentally, one could argue that Netanyahu’s Zionism however is an ignorant, brutal doctrine, as we can see with the blue line plan. So I think it’s far more likely that that quote was actually just in reference to Zionists without trying to condemn all Jews.

Of course, Corbyn hasn’t exactly been very careful in recognising and withdrawing support from suggestively anti-Semitic sources… but that’s more just sloppiness than bigotry really.

Then I think it’s important to similarly remember that criticism of global capitalist oligarchs should not be seen as inherently anti-Semitic. Other Jewish people suffer as much from those elites as anyone else, be those elites Jewish or not.

Corbyn did not lay a wreath at the graves of terrorists. He was present at the ceremony to commemorate the victims of an Israeli attack in 1985, not to commemorate the Black September attackers. Yet again, this is laziness on Corbyn’s part – but he can only be described if anything a bystander to potential anti-Semitism as opposed to a perpetrator. That is, indeed, still a very bad thing, but to suggest the notion that this “institutional anti-Semitism” has only risen once Corbyn came to a prominent position is therefore slightly logically fallacious.

• Bullshi!, The Labour Party haas always harboured a minority of racists and ant-semites. It was more normal than not in the upper echelons of society in C19 when The Labour Party was formed. Under the right wing Blairite regime antisemitism flourished under the stewardship of Ian McNichol, unchecked despite the efforts of Jeremy Corbyn & co. to flush them out. Racism still exists in The Labour Party: a high proportion of the remainder now, are supporters of the racist apartheid state of Israel, and are thus obviously racist themselves. They cry “anti-semite” at any assertion of human rights for for Palestinian arabs, druze, christians, bahai, atheists, or even anti-zionist orthodox jews, etc. or any criticism of Israel. Pure sociopathic projection, a deliberate smear campaign. Labour now has less antisemitism than it ever has had, that is backed up by the figures the current General Secretary has shown.