June Project volunteers help local community

Volunteers from King’s Church Durham and other churches across Durham have participated in the June Project to help serve the city community.

The week-long event, which began on Monday 17 June, has taken place annually for the past thirteen years with an average of over one hundred participants, making it one of the largest volunteer projects in Durham.

This year’s event has featured various activities, including over one hundred and thirty volunteers singing ‘Amazing Grace’ in Market Square along with a local busker playing the bagpipes.

The week-long event is one of the largest volunteer projects in Durham

Other activities included gardening for elderly and isolated residents in Gilesgate; visiting residents in Durham and Low Newton prisons; and running a free football camp for children on the Sherburn Road Estate.

Durham graduate and June Project organiser, Chris Morgan said in a press release: “June Project was born from a desire of university students to share their faith beyond the university and serve the local community.

“God cares about the vulnerable and the forgotten members of our society and we want to embody that.

“Over the years we have seen dozens of students decide to stay in Durham beyond university as a result of doing June Project. There is something about serving the local community that inspires our students to give back to an area receive so much from.

“June Project was born from a desire of university students to share their faith and serve the local community”

Chris Morgan, Durham graduate and June Project organiser.

“God cares about the vulnerable and the forgotten members of our society and we want to embody that.”

In addition to voluntary work, the June Project included several arts events taking place in Appleby Café on Church Street, ranging from a pop-up cinema, an open mic night, and a cheese and wine evening with local artist, Linda Vine.

June Project included several arts events taking place in Appleby Café on Church Street

Speaking to Palatinate, Mr Morgan said: “Over the years we’ve spent time helping the isolated, going into schools and local prisons and sharing God’s love in a whole range of ways in the city centre.

“This year we’ve got 130 people helping out full time for the week with people from various churches in Durham as well as a church in York sending up 12 people to help for the week, but most of the people involved are students here at King’s.

“We’ve seen dozens of these students over the 13 years stay in Durham after they graduate as they choose to give back to this community, and stay a part of this church that seeks to bless the whole city.”

King’s Church Durham has also recently announced that it will be hosting numerous free Fun Days across Durham city on Saturday 22, including at Gilesgate, Sherburn Road, Langley Moor and Newton Hall.

These events will feature a BBQ, face painting, giant inflatables, games and a bake-off competition.

Photograph: Dan Millard