Is Disney+ worth melting for?

As a member of the generation who experienced what I think was the best generation of Disney content (The Lion King, High School Musical and Hannah Montana to name a few), it is without any doubt that the release of Disney+ was something I was eager to get involved in. Especially as it coincided with the start of the lockdown period, it appeared to be the only thing there was to look forward to amid the dreaded reality of the global pandemic, and for many others I am sure this was also the case. 

If you’re somehow unaware of Disney’s latest innovation, this new streaming service enables one’s ability to watch a wide range of Disney films and TV from the last two decades. A Disney fan’s dream come true! And certainly, within days of its release I was already fully invested in my favourite childhood show (Wizards of Waverley Place) and had already watched both Camp Rock films. 

£60 is certainly a hefty amount, especially for a student such as myself

Now before you totally negate this streaming service as a child oriented service or for adults who are eager to relive their childhood (guilty), Disney does not disappoint in its attempt to please the wider audience. In addition to all of this Disney content, almost all of the Marvel films are provided within the Disney + subscription. Suddenly, fans of Marvel were given the tools to (almost) watch the complete Marvel series back to back without interruption. Of course this was a complete game changer; both my dad and my brother showed interest in Disney+ and another subscription was also purchased.

Now the big question needs to be addressed here – is Disney+ actually worth it? Certainly the 7 day free trial gives you an excuse to try out this new streaming service without full commitment, but what about the yearly subscription? £60 is certainly a hefty amount, especially for a student such as myself. I’d just like to say here that I didn’t pay for it myself but rather sponged off my family account. 

It gave a change from the religious Netflix scrolling I had to endure in order to find something I hadn’t already seen

It is without any doubt that at first glance there is more than enough to watch without getting bored and in the first few weeks, I was having the best time watching all things Disney and more! It was especially exciting as it gave a change from the religious Netflix scrolling I had to endure in order to find something I hadn’t already seen; having this new set of shows and movies to watch was a great time waster during those first few quarantine weeks. 

It should also be noted that Disney+ does offer a more family friendly service – whereby you’re not accidentally going to view a film for your six year old sibling that turns out to be inappropriate.  

However, like with every new thing you get, the novelty eventually wears off. Within a few weeks I had managed to watch all the films and series I had set my desires to watch – somehow finding myself less and less inclined to choose Disney+ over other streaming services. Now I find that this is even more the case since lockdown rules are being lifted.

I find it doesn’t have the binge worthy addiction or appeal that Netflix seems to have mastered

Whilst I do sometimes choose to watch Disney+, especially for family film nights or new exclusive releases such as Hamilton, it’s not my first choice on most occasions. I find it doesn’t have the binge worthy addiction or appeal that Netflix seems to have mastered with full conquest. After having spoken to other subscribers of Disney+, they have shared similar experiences – especially as you have to be in a certain mood to watch it. 

Like with every new thing you get, the novelty eventually wears off

Conclusively, I can say that Disney+ is worth the subscription, but only if you can afford it. Yet, in no way can it defeat Netflix. Instead, I would say it serves as the side dish to your main, it offers a different range of TV and film content but you would never choose to have it solely as your means of entertainment.

Image: Benjamin Sutter via Unsplash