Is coronavirus-era travel really the same?

Across Europe, travel is much more widespread than in the UK, where the costs and logistics required to navigate a holiday during Covid-19 have made many question whether the hassle is worth the supposedly relaxing break. Having struggled through the seemingly endless requirements of foreign travel in the coronavirus-era and finally made it to Russia for the first leg of my year abroad, the experience has certainly reminded me that the effects of coronavirus are far from over, despite the UK’s ostensible ‘freedom day’ almost two months ago. 

Indeed, if you do decide to attempt to escape the UK, the rules and requirements vary depending on a myriad of factors, such as your destination, nationality, and vaccination status (including when, where, and which vaccine). First of all, many countries require a fit-to-fly PCR test to enter, which must be done in the UK no more than 72 hours before arrival, but with enough time to get the results before departure. As well as balancing this fragile timeframe, many have rebuked the UK’s pricing, labelled as excessive and exploitative by our own health secretary Sajid Javid. In the UK, the average private PCR test costs £92, in stark contrast with the £20 fee in countries like Turkey.

I quickly learned that the Russian version of lockdown is a stark contrast to the UK’s

Having last got a flight in 2019, the thought of going through an airport and onto a plane seemed like a foreign concept, but once there the typical procedures and nuances soon came back to me. At the airport, the only noticeable differences to pre-coronavirus flights were the mandatory masks and the certificates showing a negative PCR test and proof of vaccination, requested on several occasions. By the time I made it onto the plane, the familiar excitement of taking off and heading to a new country began to set in. 

Gauging the rules once in Russia has proven to be a particularly challenging task. I was told by my university to get another PCR test when I arrive here and isolate until I get a negative result. While this ended up only being one day, I have met people here who have been told to isolate from anywhere between 1-14 days. Furthermore, due to the high cases in St Petersburg, which is in the midst of a peak, it is supposedly in a form of lockdown. However, I quickly learned that the Russian version of lockdown is a stark contrast to the UK’s stringent no-sitting-on-a-bench rules. I attempt to quench my look of surprise as the locals complain about lockdown, wondering when they will have to stop wearing masks (the seemingly only rule of this lockdown, and one which is scarcely followed at that).

After two long years, the opportunity to travel again has come as a welcome source of excitement

Of course, Covid-19 provides a whole new host of risks to travel abroad; many people have caught the virus on planes or at airports despite the stringent rules in place. A positive test result is enough to put an immediate end to any holiday, with many ending up stuck in their hotel rooms for up to two weeks. Or perhaps even worse, the lottery of the fortnightly travel reviews which induce a background fear of your destination moving to the red list, and either being stuck abroad or landing a 10-day hotel quarantine and £2285 bill upon return.

I am undoubtedly excited to finally be out here and past the hurdles it took to arrive. After two long years, the opportunity to travel again has come as a welcome source of excitement. Being here for four months, I am sure the experience will outweigh these struggles. However, for a short holiday I am personally not convinced it is worth the hassle, unless visiting a country with exceptionally lenient rules and requirements. Indeed, thanks to the ever-changing rules and subsequent logistical challenges, travelling is no longer the relaxing treat it once was! 

Image: Eva Darron via Unsplash

22 thoughts on “Is coronavirus-era travel really the same?

• I also think they are adorable to boot and it is kind of nice that you were able to restore some of the earlier charm they had by fixing the insdie lining.hotel membership club

• Hi, Traveling and Runing too good for everyone. so don’t waste your time. just fare makers providing your cheap airline tickets, Visa and tour packages in reasonable fares.Luchthavenvervoer Ternat

• Travel is a source of pride and amusement. I additionally visit many lovely locations within the world. They convey a tremendous exchange in our questioning and we experience sparkling. I am very happy to research plenty approximately your travel hints knowledge. Your tips are rich with a number of useful expertise.Travel Tips

• I read your whole content it is really helpful for me and others. After reading this point I am blessed to have this blog. I appreciate your work and knowledge. I will recommend this content to others, further people will get the advantage. Thanks!tourist places

• There are some precautions while traveling like sure that you are ready for travel. Your health is most important. So take healthy food and fresh fruits. You should always buy travel insurance. If you travel without it you are taking the risk.wat kost luchthavenvervoer

• There are some precautions while traveling like sure that you are ready for travel. Your health is most important. So take healthy food and fresh fruits. You should always buy travel insurance. If you travel without it you are taking the risk .sunshinebeachhotelsvacation.com

• I read your whole content it is really helpful for me and others. After reading this point I am blessed to have this blog. I appreciate your work and knowledge. I will recommend this content to others, further people will get the advantage. Thanks! !sunshinebeachhotelsvacation.co.uk

• I read your whole content it is really helpful for me and others. After reading this point I am blessed to have this blog. I appreciate your work and knowledge. I will recommend this content to others, further people will get the advantage. Thanks! idc gili islands

• I read your whole content it is really helpful for me and others. After reading this point I am blessed to have this blog. I appreciate your work and knowledge. I will recommend this content to others, further people will get the advantage. Thanks! Paisley Park

• A very inspirational post! I loved to read about the travel experiences of all these middle age people. Gives me courage to see that age is only a figure.Hunza Tour packages from lahore

• Some great travel tips from great travel bloggers. Not to sound like a Nike ad, but sometimes you just need to do it. Life has a way of getting in the way. Sometimes we spend so much time looking at options and planning, that a travel window slips away. Not the way to do it!
    male maldives

• At one time or the other, as part of their earthly existence; it does not matter what the purpose of travel is, or whether the travel is local or international. I like the idea of going on a trip with the aim of making it a romantic holiday. stonehenge tour

• As part of their earthly existence; it does not matter what the purpose of travel is, or whether the travel is local or international. I like the idea of going on a trip with the aim of making it a romantic holiday.pakistan tour packages from karachi

• As part of their earthly existence; it does not matter what the purpose of travel is, or whether the travel is local or international. I like the idea of going on a trip with the aim of making it a romantic holiday.Hunza Tour Packages

• As part of their earthly existence; it does not matter what the purpose of travel is, or whether the travel is local or international. I like the idea of going on a trip with the aim of making it a romantic holiday phnom penh hotel

• It’s amazing content that you have presented here with us. I am really impressed with this one, also I have discovered so many things from your content.Israel family Journey

• Some People do not tour usually for the same functions. Someone travels to gain facts and revel in, someone travels for satisfaction, a person travels for enterprise features and lots of others. It has loads educative fee.Muyil

• Some People do not tour usually for the same functions. Someone travels to gain facts and revel in, someone travels for satisfaction, a person travels for enterprise features and lots of others. It has loads educative fee beaches near orlando

• As part of their earthly existence; it does not matter what the purpose of travel is, or whether the travel is local or international. I like the idea of going on a trip with the aim of making it a best holiday.Hunza Hotels

• Become an NCST (Nationally Certified Surgical Technician) with HPCT Surgical Tech Exam. Healthcare Professionals Competency Testing (HPCT) is a certifying agency that offers national certifications to allied healthcare professionals including Surgical Technicians, Clinical Medical Assistants, Medical Administrative Assistants, EKG technicians, Patient Care Technicians, Pharmacy Technicians, Phlebotomy Technicians, and Sterile Processors. With HPCT, Surgical technologists are able to sit for their national certifying examination before the completion of their scrubs. Surgical Technicians perform various tasks before, during and after surgery. They ensure an infection-free environment during surgery. They also make sure the CST Surgical technician exam surgeon’s needs during surgery are met to ensure a safe environment for the patient.

• Some great travel tips from great travel bloggers. Not to sound like a Nike ad, but sometimes you just need to do it. Life has a way of getting in the way. Sometimes we spend so much time looking at options and planning, that a travel window slips away.seoul

• Your health is most important. So take healthy food and fresh fruits. You should always buy travel insurance. If you travel without it you are taking the risk. restaurants boca chica