All indoor mixing between households to be banned in North East on Wednesday

Tighter restrictions on socialising in the North East have been announced this evening. Mixing between households or bubbles in any indoor setting will be against the law from Wednesday 30th September at 00:01. Covid-secure schools and workplaces will not be affected.

In County Durham, there are currently 482 active cases, an increase of 93% from last week. The North East of England now has a case rate of more than 100 cases per 100,000.

Over two million people in the North East had previously been banned from socialising with other people outside their own households or support bubbles in homes or gardens, in measures that came into force on the 18th September.

“We do not take these steps lightly”

Matt Hancock

Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who made the announcement, said: “We know that a large number of these infections are taking place in indoor settings outside the home.

“And so at the request of the local councils, with whom we have been working closely, we will introduce legal restrictions on indoor mixing between households in any setting.”

“We do not take these steps lightly but we must take them and take them now because we know that swift action is more likely to bring the virus under control and the quicker we can get this virus under control, the quicker we can restore the freedoms we all enjoy in the North East and across the country,” he added.

Durham University is yet to make an announcement in light of the new restrictions. 

This week, the University announced that all level 2-4 teaching will be online until at least the 12th October. Practical classes, however, are exempt and will take place in person.

Image: Emphyrio via Pixabay