Indigo Editorial #846: New Year, old news

To kick off 2022, Twitter has found a new victim: former Love Island star Molly Mae Hague. On a podcast, the influencer explained her ‘theory’ that everyone has the same 24 hours as Beyoncé, and regardless of circumstance – or, in her words, ‘poverty’ – it is up to the individual how successful they want to be. Not only is this a disgustingly out-of-touch statement to make, but it is also deeply ironic considering her position as Creative Director of the company Pretty Little Thing, which has been accused of paying their garment workers £3.50 an hour.  

This, supposedly, ‘motivational’ arrives alongside all of the generic ‘new year, new me’ quotes. Yet, this time of year consistently encourages change – changing body shapes, diets, changing fashion, and changing one’s lifestyle more generally.

These resolutions aim to ‘motivate’. But much like how Hague’s supposed intentions to motivate caused a frenzy, New Year’s resolutions tend to follow the same path. Put simply, New Year’s resolutions are glorified and often end in disappointment.

This time of year consistently encourages change

Additionally, New Year comes hand in hand with the start of our Epiphany Term which is always a busy and hectic time – dissertations galore, summative season, and graduation job hunting. The addition of arbitrary, repetitive goals unnecessarily adds to this ever-present stress.

This fortnight’s edition of Indigo follows this theme of New Year and New Year’s resolutions, offering some of the clichéd ideas of the ‘need’ for change as we enter the New Year. Books tell us what we should be reading, Style shows us what we should be wearing, and Stage explains what we should be watching.

However, after such an unexpected and challenging couple of years, everyone should just focus on getting through 2022. So, I advise you to take our sections’ advice light-heartedly, thoughtfully looking at what is to come in 2022 without the focus of creating a ‘new you’ just because a mixture of consumerism and a calendar tells you to. These articles should be taken as suggestions, rather than instructions.

The addition of arbitrary, repetitive goals unnecessarily adds to this ever-present stress

Poignantly, Food and Drink expose the impact of the industry during the New Year. The section offers valuable insight into how the industry profits off of creating mundane ‘healthy’ ideas to adopt in your New Year’s resolutions. This debate, alongside the selection of prose and poetry from Creative Writing reflecting on the New Year, offers readers the opportunity to reflect on the year that has passed rather than immediately plan for the year as New Year’s resolutions encourage us to.

We hope that you enjoy reading this edition and that it provides a helpful outlook of what to look forward to in the New Year. Taking a contemplative approach as you read the articles should decrease the overwhelming feeling that often arises as we enter a New Year, and when creating New Year’s resolutions.