Improvements in Durham City’s walking and cycling route

The North Durham Active Travel Corridor, expected to be built by March 2026, will connect Arnison Centre to New College Durham via a 2.5-kilometer travel route. Active Travel England provided Durham County Council with £2.5 million in funding to replace temporary measures built in 2020 with permanent infrastructure that assists both cyclists and pedestrians. 

“This funding will support our plans to deliver permanent cycling and pedestrian improvements on a key route for people who live, work, visit, and study in Durham city”

Cllr Elizabeth Scott

Durham County Councillor Elizabeth Scott stated that “This funding will support our plans to deliver permanent cycling and pedestrian improvements on a key route for people who live, work, visit, and study in Durham City.” It will improve traffic safety by constructing bike routes and repairing junctions and crossings. It will also be linked to other cycling routes that connect Durham City to the surrounding region. 

The newly designed cycling route, coupled with the Council’s Borrow a Bike scheme, which allows individuals to rent bicycles for free to use for work or recreation, will benefit the environment as well as the health and well-being of Durham residents.