Holi celebrations set to go ahead at Oriental Museum

Durham University’s Oriental Museum is reviving Holi celebrations after two years of the pandemic restricting activities. Celebrations will be taking place on Saturday 12 March, 12-5pm.

Holi, also known as the Festival of Colours, is the Indian Spring Festival. It is a two-day Hindu festival which originated in India, and celebrates the triumph of good over evil. This year, Holi will start at sundown on the 17th of March and end on the 18th of March.

According to the Oriental Museum, “Holi traditionally involves throwing brightly coloured powders over friends and relatives in a good-natured, and highly visual, representation of the victory of good over evil.”

Tickets are £2 per person, and are free for children under 2 years old. The price includes two bags of Holi powder, alongside free arts and crafts activities, storytelling events, as well as entry to the Museum on the day.

During the powder throws, visitors “will be able to dance to a mix of Bhangra hits and upbeat pop, while getting covered from head to toe in brightly coloured powders.”

Previous Holi Festival celebrations outside the Oriental Museum – by Durham University via Flickr

Apart from the festivities, there will be Indian food on sale as well.

Charlotte Spink, the event organiser, advises visitors to wear light-coloured clothes “for maximum effect’, and to ‘be prepared to get messy”.

With regards to the overall event, Spink said, “Holi 2022 will be a celebration of spring, but also a chance to welcome back all our lovely visitors, community, and student volunteers.’ She hopes that Holi will be an opportunity for visitors to ‘discover what else the Oriental Museum has to offer too.”

According to their website, the Oriental Museum is the only museum in the north of the UK dedicated to the art and archaeology of non-European cultures. Their exhibitions span the cultures of China, Japan, Korea, India, the Near and Middle East, and Africa.

For more information and ticket bookings can be found on the Museum’s website:

Image source: Durham University via Flickr