Hatfield College reveals newly refurbished bar and facilities

By Clara Gaspar

Hatfield College has announced the completion of their £5 million project, which includes a newly refurbished College bar and 60 student rooms.

The multi-purpose space is located in the Jevons building and will function as a social space, café and bar, with wheelchair access.

Equipped with wifi and open during the day, the bar has been described by the college as a “comfortable place to relax, study, to chat to friends, celebrate or commiserate.”

The College bar is also a member of the Best Bar None scheme for licensed premises in the UK, displaying commitment to maintaining a safe and friendly drinking environment.

The façade of the Jevons Building – particularly the arrow-slit-like windows – has been carefully preserved so as to help to maintain Hatfield College’s rich history, dating back to 1846.

The work, which lasted 12 months, has also resulted in 60 refurbished student rooms (58 of which are now ensuite).

£30,000 of the £5 million spent on the project was donated by Hatfield alumni.

Durham University’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience), Owen Adams, said: “I’m delighted these fantastic refurbished facilities are now ready for students to enjoy and call their home, and I am grateful to our generous alumni who have kindly helped to fund this renovation.”

The Vice-Chancellor and Owen Adams will join Hatfield College’s Master, staff, and students to officially open the new and improved residences and facilities on Monday 22nd October 2018.

Photographs: Hatfield College 

@ClaraGGaspar