Hartlepool United to train at Maiden Castle in exciting DU partnership

Hartlepool United will be training at Maiden Castle as of next season in a move that will benefit both the club and the student community, the club have announced.

Following their promotion to League Two in June, the Pools claim that this development has been ‘identified as a key step toward creating infrastructure that supports a leading Football League environment and status.’

Durham University and Hartlepool United will work together to organise student placement opportunities, sports science collaboration, and interactions between Hartlepool players and staff and Durham students.

Mark Brian, Head of Sport and Activity for Durham University, said: “We believe this new partnership will be of real benefit for both parties and we’re delighted that our new state-of-the-art sports facilities will be shared by a professional men’s football team. We are confident that this will add real value to their performance on the pitch.

“We are also excited to work with the Manager and his team to explore ways in which we can strengthen a partnership and provide opportunities for Hartlepool’s players and coaching staff to engage with our student community and vice versa.”

Club Chairman Raj Singh echoed this positivity, saying: “Having the new Maiden Castle site as a training base alongside the Durham University partnership is a huge coup for us. As of this week we will be training at one of the best facilities in the north east.”

Maiden Castle has a history of hosting professional football clubs. The facility used to be the training ground of Newcastle in the 1990s and was recently renovated with funding to the tune of £32 million.

Image: Durham University