Green Move Out Scheme encourages students to keep city tidy as they move out

Durham University has launched its Green Move Out (GMO) for the 18th year to help students keep the city tidy as they leave for the summer. The scheme allows students to donate belongings they no longer want to local causes. 

These items include clothes, shoes, bedding, electrical items, pots and pans, crockery books and non-perishable food, which can be donated by being placed in purple collection bags which are delivered to colleges and private accommodation this month. 

These bags can be left outside their bedrooms (if living in college), at college collection points or outside their door. Typically, the scheme collects about 15-25 tonnes of material a year. It is estimated that over the last 18 years the scheme has diverted 200 tonnes away from general waste. 

GMO scheme was launched in 2005, encouraging students to leave accommodation responsibly. This year’s campaign carries the message: Reduce Waste, Leave Durham Tidy, Support Charity.

The scheme typically collects 15-25 tonnes of material a year

The items collected are reused, diverted, or sold with proceeds going to four local charities: County Durham Furniture Help Scheme (CDFHS), Durham Action Single Housing, Red Supported Living and Veterans at Ease. Some items donated will be resold to upcoming students in an event in autumn, given to charity shops or used directly by the charities. 

Jeremy Cook, University Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experiences) said: “As a responsible university and good neighbour it’s very important to us that we take good care of the beautiful city we share.

“The Green Move Out scheme is a great example of this work and I’m pleased that, with the help of more student volunteers, we will be able to do an even better job this year.”

This sentiment was echoed by Councillor Mark Wilkes, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods and Climate Change. “We are pleased to once again be supporting the Green Move Out initiative and delighted to see how much the scheme has been able to grow and reach more students year on year.”

“It’s very important to use that we take care of the beautiful city we share”

Jeremy cooke pro-vice-chancellor (Colleges and student expereince)

Trevor Atkinson, Director of Durham Action on Single Housing, told Palatinate: “We are very pleased to have been involved in the Durham University Green Move Out scheme which encourages students to move out of their accommodation responsibly by deciding what to keep, store, sell, donate, or recycle and then leave their accommodation in a good condition. 

“We benefit from this scheme through donations of bedding and kitchenware which are always helpful to our residents who are homeless or people facing homelessness.” 

If you did not receive a purple bag or if you want additional bags, they can be collected from the Palatine Centre, Stockton Road or from any college reception.

Image: Durham University