Graduation ceremonies postponed again to mid-2022

Durham has announced that graduation ceremonies planned for September 2021 have been postponed due to “continuing Covid-19 uncertainties”, including international travel.

The Congregation ceremonies will now be held between Monday 28th March and Friday 1st April 2022. Additional dates around the Summer ceremonies are scheduled to take place at the end of June to early July 2022.

Around 10,000 graduates are awaiting a ceremony, and are yet to be told which ceremony in 2022 they will go to.

Graduates will still legally be awarded their degree in absentia on 2nd July 2021, and the University will “record a short video to mark the occasion”.

Graduation ceremonies for last year’s graduates were originally intended to happen on April 12th 2021, having been replaced with an online graduation ceremony last year.

In an email to finalists, Vice-Chancellor Stuart Corbridge wrote: “We understand that following a difficult year this will come as disappointing news […] We thank you for your continued patience while we work to confirm arrangements for 2022 in a way that protects our staff, our students and their families, and the wider community.   

We look forward to celebrating with you in the not too distant future. Until that time, go well and stay safe.” 

Image: Durham University