Gas works to close major Durham road for 11 weeks

By Waseem Mohamed

One of Durham’s major through roads will be closed for 11 weeks from February 3rd, due to important gas works.

The A691 Framwellgate Peth, which connects North Durham Hospital to the junction by Durham station, will be closed to eastbound traffic after the plans were approved by Durham County Council.

The works are being carried about by Northern Gas Networks, with workers replacing the old metal pipework with long-lasting plastic pipes, designed to ensure the safe transport of gas and in the future, transport of green fuels like hydrogen.

“We want to assure residents…we will be working hard to complete this scheme

Shaun williams

As well as needing to close Framwellgate Peth to some traffic, workers may also need to access homes around the worksite, in order to complete the project safely and maintain gas supplies.

Signposts are currently being put up to warn motorists of the closures. Motor users are also being warned for potential delays due to increased traffic in the local area, particularly during rush hour.

Bus routes are unlikely to be directly impacted by the road closure as local buses currently stop on North Road to avoid using Framwellgate Peth. However, buses are likely to be delayed during the works as other traffic is diverted around the closure.

Speaking to The Northern Echo, site manager Shaun Williams stated “We would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused during these essential works. However, it is vital we complete them in order to continue to maintain a safe and reliable gas supply to the residents of Durham.”

“We want to assure residents and road users that we will be working hard to complete this scheme as safely and quickly as possible.” Further information about the closure can be requested by calling Northern Gas Networks at 08004047766.

Image Credit