UPDATE: Former Durham student rape trial date and venue moved

A former senior freshers’ representative at Grey College appeared in court on Tuesday (19th January) accused of raping a woman, the Durham Times reports.

George Worrall, 21, has been charged with two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault in Durham City.

The alleged offences are said to have taken place on 8th December 2014 whilst he was a second-year Engineering student at the University.

The charges were brought against Worrall after a police investigation into the alleged offences was launched in January last year.

Once a senior freshers’ representative at Grey College, Worrall appeared before Consett Magistrates’ Court, speaking only to confirm his name and address during the ten minute hearing.

Sarah Traynor, for the prosecution, said: “It is a serious matter and it is going to the crown court.”

No pleas have been entered at this stage in the criminal proceedings.

During the hearing, Worrall was represented by solicitor Mark Davies, who said: “This defendant is a resident in Norfolk. This is a matter that has been under investigation since January last year.

“He has a job, which may entail a period of time working abroad. He has said it could cause problems with visas if he has to disclose he is on bail.”

Worrall was granted unconditional bail by the bench until 16th February, when he will appear at Durham Crown Court for a preliminary hearing before a judge.

UPDATE

George Worrall, the suspended Grey college engineering student, has appeared in court to deny three offences.

The accused denies two counts of rape and one of sexual assault, which alleged to have taken place on the 8th December 2014.

The engineer, who was in his term term of second year at the time has since been suspended from the university.

Worrall has not been able to consult with his defense representative due to the fact that the prosecution failed to hand over papers with the evidential outline to the defense.

The suspended second year student is expected to near appear in court on the 23rd May, when the trial will begin.

UPDATE: 11/04/16

The date of the trial of George Worrall, who has been charged with two counts of rape and one of sexual assault, has been moved.

The court heard that Worrall was anxious to change the trial date because he was eager to resume his ‘academic pursuits’, provided his name is cleared.

On the trial preparation hearing, the court heard that the complainant had another prior arranged engagement on the day the trail was set to begin on Monday 23rd May.

The next available date for the trial was Monday 10th October, after the start of the next academic year at the University.

However, following a consultation with administration at Teesside Crown Court, a more suitable date was found, with the case now taking place in Middlesbrough Court Centre.

Photograph: Peter Roberts