FOI reveals statistics from 2022/23 examinations

Following the release of 2022/23 results on the 13th of November after the end of the MAB, a freedom of information request has revealed statistics from continuing student examinations.

With the figure being rounded to the nearest five, the FOI revealed that 485 undergraduate students received a failure in at least one of their modules in 2022/23 and then continued on to study in 2023/24.

Of the students who successfully completed their degree in 2022/23, it was shown that 33% of students received a 1st, 53% received a 2:1, 11% received a 2:2 and 3% received an ordinary. An ordinary degree amounts to no more than 240 credits at Level 1 and/or 2.

The FOI also shown that 0% of students got a third or a pass.

For the academic year 2022/23, 33% of students received a 1st, 53% received a 2:1, 11% received a 2:2 and 3% received an ordinary

According to Durham’s core regulations for undergraduate programmes, where progression is permitted, the pass list will note either that the student carries failed module(s) or, where the student has failed modules which cannot be compensated, that the student is progressing towards an ordinary degree qualification.

This means that students who are eligible to progress to Level 3, whilst carrying a failed module, will only be eligible for an Ordinary degree award upon completion.

While comparisons at department level don’t appear to show a significant difference between performance in the years 2021/22 and 2022/23, there was a difference in the academic achievement between year groups.

The average score for first year students in 2022/23 was 62, while second year was 63, with third year being 65 and fourth/fifth being 68. The mark achieved this year for first, second and third- year students was shown to have decreased by 1 mark from the year before. The average for fourth/fifth year students has stayed the same.

Despite there not being much difference between the years regarding performance within departments, another FOI asking for the average results for all undergraduate modules has revealed that in the 2022/23 academic year, Biology students performed best in examinations/ assessments, averaging a mark of 69 when considering all 4 years.

The FOI also revealed that Modern Languages and Cultures (Japanese) performed the worst at an average of 60 marks across the three years. Despite this, each department within the university attained an average of at least 2:1 overall.

When comparing departmental performance, Physics maintained the top spot in the academic years 2020/21 and 2021/22

When comparing departmental performance to previous years, Physics maintained the top spot in the academic years 2020/21 and 2021/22, with Japanese performing the worst again in 2021/22.

The Physics department kept a high mark of 70 in 2020/21 alongside Italian studies and 68 in 2021/22 before dropping to an average mark of 65 in the 2022/23 academic year.

In all, over the past three years, FOI requests have shown that all academic departments, besides Japanese in the 2021 year with a mark of 59, have maintained an average result of 2:1 with failures being extremely low at an estimated 1-2% of students failing per year on average.

For students studying foundation years in 2022/23 FOI results show that the average mark was 60 with 21% achieving a first, 32% got a 2:1, 35% got a 2:2, 6% got a 3rd and 6% of students got below a 3rd.

Compared to the academic year 2021/22, the average mark was 50 with the majority of students getting a 2:2 or a 3rd.