Henry Bird

Fan-favourite Henry Bird hangs up his apron on GBBO

Durham University student, , hung up his apron on the Great British Bake Off one last time after a shock elimination from the quarter-finals.

Only last week the 20-year-old was named ‘Star Baker’ and secured a coveted ‘Hollywood handshake’ after he dazzled with a lemon and lime showstopper. 

It has become one of the most iconic moments of the season due to his shock response telling the judge Paul Hollywood to “shut up” due to his surprise.

Henry receiving the coveted ‘Hollywood Handsake’

Tuesday’s episode saw the five remaining bakers battle sweltering temperatures in the Bake Off tent during a summer heatwave. 

Shop assistant Steph, 28, was named star baker for the fourth time this series. 

Henry impressed judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith in the signature challenge with his crab, tomato, and new potato tarte tatin, topped with crab salad. 

The technical challenge, which has served him well in the past with two previous wins, proved difficult with his Moroccan pie collapsing under its own weight. 

His showstopper challenge also encountered difficulties with his sweet and savoury pies suffering the dreaded “soggy bottom,” which Prue described as “maddening.” 

Henry became a fan-favourite across the nation with his plethora of shirt and tie combinations, his witty comebacks, and caring personality. 

After leaving, he said: “In my last episode there was a heatwave in the tent – the lovely people in the crew gave us tea towels to wrap round our necks – but I was determined to keep my tie on.

“I wore a shirt and tie early on the series, basically because I didn’t have many clean T-shirts at the time.” 

Henry was one of the youngest quarter-finalists in Bake Off history after Martha Collison appeared in 2014 on Series 5.

Henry’s final words in the tent were: “It’s been a pleasure darling”, and it is safe to say that the pleasure has been all ours.

Photograph via Henry Bird and Channel 4