Eating their words: food-related podcasts that will have you asking for seconds

We all love to talk about food. Whether it’s a particularly amazing meal you’ve cooked, or an interesting combination of ingredients served in the college dining hall, food is frequently the topic of excited conversations between friends, family and even strangers. It’s no wonder, then, that our culinary discussions have made their way into the world of podcasts, an increasingly popular platform which suits everything from interviews with chefs to informal chats over a cooked meal. Perhaps you’re looking for inspiration for tonight’s dinner. Or maybe you just want to hear your favourite celebrity wax lyrical about their desert island meal. From informative to hilariously funny, here are some of the best podcasts that deal with all things food.

Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster

It would be a crime to start this line-up with a podcast that involves anyone other than Durham alumnus, Ed Gamble, and his side-achingly funny partner, James Acaster. With 125 episodes to its name, each week the Off Menu duo interviews a chosen celebrity, asking their guest to describe their ideal starter, main course, side and dessert. The hosts always ask for the inspiration behind each choice, granting us descriptions of luxurious Beverly Hills restaurants and mothers’ reliable recipes. Highlights include Sue Perkins’ still or sparkling water debate and Claudia Winkleman’s veneration of a tuna melt. Not only will this uplifting podcast start you thinking about new culinary creations, but it will also give you a list of restaurants to try when travelling is back on the table.

You will see the food on your plate in a different light

The Food Chain

This podcast by the BBC World Service is the auditory equivalent to a meal of tapas. From discussing the hospitality industry to analysing our dependence on starches, The Food Chain reveals the social and cultural elements behind the food. The podcast also has a ‘My Life in Five Dishes’ series where globally recognised chefs, such as Yotam Ottolenghi and Alice Waters, transport us into their upbringing and professional experience whilst describing five pivotal dishes. You will see the food on your plate in a different light after listening to this engaging podcast.

Life on a Plate

Celebrities are in the hot seat again in Waitrose’s Life on a Plate, as the presenters delve into their guests’ opinions on food and their kitchen secrets. Now in its fourth season, Life on a Plate examines culinary topics through the lens of the interviewees. Joe Wicks discussed the world of sport and nutrition; Sarah Millican shared her favourite post-show meals, and Nigella Lawson debated what makes the best brownie. As educational as it is entertaining, this podcast will give you serious kitchen inspiration. 

The Genius Recipe Tapes

Searching for a new, easy recipe to punctuate the weekly monotony of chillis and stir-fries? Food52’s podcast, The Genius Recipe Tapes, has a new episode every week in which a ‘genius’ recipe is discussed. Sublimely smooth hummus, crispy pizza baked in a skillet, and a chocolate-halva brownie pudding are some of the most mouth-watering titles. The series also has an accompanying column (which includes the recipe) and a YouTube video for each episode, helping you to easily recreate the dishes yourself! 

All is revealed in this hilarious, food-centred exposée

Table Manners

Hosted by the iconic mother-daughter duo of Lennie and Jessie Ware, Table Manners is the podcast equivalent of your favourite comfort food. It’s another show where celebrity guests gush about the best foods in their lives, but with a twist: Jessie’s mother, Lennie, prepares a three-course meal for them to enjoy together. Sprinkled with light-hearted family bickering between the hosts, Table Manners asks the questions we all want to know: can Jay Rayner actually cook? Does Stanley Tucci eat anything other than Italian food? What is Sadiq Khan’s go-to curry? All is revealed in this hilarious, food-centred exposée.

Whether they help you with meal planning or provide a friendly voice whilst you’re in the kitchen, these food podcasts are not to be missed. The genre has truly proliferated and unfortunately, space doesn’t permit a mention to many worthy contenders. Nevertheless, here you have a solid starting point for many enjoyable hours of culinary musings which will leave you hungry for more!

Image: Juja Han via Unsplash