Durham’s A Capella Group set to shine at Fringe

By Helen Chatterton and Helena Snider

Durham University’s A Cappella group Northern Lights will preview its latest show, ‘Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them’, at The Assembly Rooms Theatre in Durham on Friday 11th August.

The music in the show follows a magical theme, featuring an eclectic mix of chart-topping hits. Northern Lights is made up of 16 Durham University students from all over the world, as far afield as Japan and America, who regularly perform and compete at events across the county.

This talented group of performers create music and thrill their audiences through the power of the human voice. Somewhat impressively, they arrange the pieces themselves and self-choreograph routines.

The show is then being taken to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival later this August – a festival at which their shows sold-out last year.

Bethany Wright, Treasurer of the group, told us: “We have been prepping our show for months now and cannot wait to finally perform in front of an audience. You can physically see the surprise in the faces of the audience when we begin. I don’t know what people expect but we definitely aren’t your standard choir. Once people realise this they become hooked and hence the popularity of A Cappella grows.”

Indeed, their popularity does show. Recently, the show reached the semi-finals of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCAs). Moreover, last year they recorded their first EP entitled, ‘Bright Lights, Small City’.

Logan Williams sings Bass in the Northern Lights. He explained why he thinks A Cappella is becoming so popular: “Singing is the most bodily form of making music, it quite literally comes from inside of us. I think A Cappella turns all music into a personal experience. Every instrument is a person and we feel their emotions their love for music, and their excitement all in a voice. It’s amazing what we can do with just our voices.”

It looks set to be a magical evening.

This performance has been organised by the Northern Lights and Music Durham. Tickets are £8 adult and £6 concession. Please check the Northern Lights Facebook page for more information.

Photograph: Samuel C Kirkman