Durham’s £100 golden steak to rival Salt Bae’s prices

North East restaurant Stirk’s Steakhouse has added a £100 ‘golden steak’ to the menus at their Durham and Sunderland establishments, consisting of a 38-ounce tomahawk steak topped with 24-carat gold flakesto. Steakhouse owner John Stirk stated that the new dish was introduced to rival the prices charged for similar products at celebrity chef Salt Bae’s London restaurants.

Stirk told Chronicle Live that his steak is not intended to be cheap, but “more accessible” than those found at restaurants like Salt Bae’s. He said the steak is “meant to be shared” between two diners. When the cost is split, the ‘golden steak’ is more affordable than some other items on the menu, like the £65 Chateaubriand.

A second year student told Palatinate that they would be reluctant to try the golden steak: “whilst it may be cheaper it’s still unaffordable” and “it’s so far out from where students live.” A first year student said that they would not try it “even if I could afford it” because “I don’t see the point”, explaining that the gold flakes only add to the steak in terms of aesthetics.

The golden steak is the steakhouse’s most expensive item. Other items on their menu come in a range of different prices. Lunchtime menu prices, for example, range from £4.95 to £10. The rest of their steak menu costs between £18 and £90.

Stirk specified that his steak was not intended to be cheap, but “more accessible”

When asked whether they would rather try the golden steak or Salt Bae’s steaks, a second year student said that they would rather try Salt Bae’s “simply because it’s so hyped”.

‘Salt Bae’, whose real name is Nusret Gökçe, rose to internet fame in 2017 when a video of him sprinkling salt onto an Ottoman steak went viral. He opened his first London restaurant in Knightsbridge this year, making it his 15th restaurant globally. Diners at Nusret Steakhouse in London have been posting images of their receipts online, showing total bills reaching into the thousands.

Image: mamamusings via Flickr