Durham Women FC sign international striker

Durham Women Football Club has signed Albanian international striker, Liz Ejupi. She joins following a spell with London City Lionesses, and has now put pen to paper with Lee Sanders’ side ahead of the 2021/22 season.

Ejupi began her career with Charlton Athletic, where she was capped by Albania at just seventeen years old. Spells with Nottingham Forest, Notts County and Aston Villa followed before she signed again for Charlton, scoring 13 goals in just 18 games upon her return for the Addicks.

Ejupi signed for the London City Lionesses in 2019, and joins Durham on the back of yet another successful spell in the FA Women’s Championship.

“It feels good to be here,” Ejupi told Durham Women following her arrival.

“I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe in the team. Durham have proved themselves for the last few seasons and I only want to build on that and be part of it.

“I think it’s going to be a really tough year for everyone, but the competition is exciting.”

“She plays and carries herself like a Durham player”

lee Sanders

Durham Women FC Manager, Lee Sanders, is delighted to have her on board: “Liz is a player who we’ve always had a tough time against whenever she’s been in the opposition team.

“She’s been a little bit unfortunate with injuries at London City but is a player I always felt would fit in with us.

“It’s a strange thing to say, but she plays and carries herself like a Durham player, and I’m really excited to see what she can do with this squad of players.

“There are a couple of key areas we needed to strengthen in and I think this was one, and hopefully Liz will be the player to come in and help us.”

Durham finished second in the 2020/21 season, and Ejupi will be looking to help the team build on a strong season. They begin their campaign against newly-promoted Watford at Maiden Castle on Sunday, August 29th.

Image: Durham Women FC