Durham University’s World Heritage Site visitor attractions to re-open to visitors

Durham University’s World Heritage Site visitor attractions are to reopen to the public on Tuesday for the first time since March 2020. The World Heritage Site includes Durham Castle, Palace Green Library and Durham Cathedral, the first two being owned by the University.

Visitors to the Museum of Archaeology and Durham Light Infantry Gallery in Palace Green Library and Durham Castle will be required to pre-book an entry time. Visitor numbers will be managed in line with any government requirements.

“We will be opening the Castle again to allow visitors to explore a Castle with over 1,000 years of living history”

Gemma Lewis

Bookings opened on Tuesday 13th July and more information is available at the Palace Green and Durham Castle websites.

Palace Green Library is free to visit; its Museum of Archaeology includes a new exhibition on prehistory and Roman archaeology of Durham. Durham Castle is also set to reopen to self-guided visits.

Durham Castle was built during the reign of William the Conqueror and served as the residence for the Bishops of Durham. It was donated to Durham University by Bishop William Van Mildert, after whom Van Mildert College is named after, in the early 19th century. It is now home to University (Castle) College, Durham.

Gemma Lewis, Curator of Durham Castle and Museum of Archaeology, said: “We are really excited to be opening the new temporary exhibition, showing Roman and Prehistoric objects and tell new stories about the local history. At the same time, we will be opening the Castle again to allow visitors to explore a Castle with over 1,000 years of living history and a site where stories are still being written.”  

Image: Zoë Boothby