Durham University sees first day of no new reported Covid-19 cases

Durham University reported no new cases of Covid-19 amongst students and staff yesterday for the first time since records of cases began being kept.

34 cases of Covid-19 have been reported by staff and students in the past two weeks since 18th November, with 12 of the cases being amongst staff members, and 22 amongst students.

The seven day average has remained low, falling from four to three cases last week, and fluctuating between three and two cases since then. The seven day average is currently at two cases.

The numbers include those taking part in the Lateral Flow Testing (LFT) pilot, which began on 29th October, and has recently been rolled out to all livers-out to ensure that students can return home safely for Christmas.

Image: Durham University

In October, Palatinate reported that around 7.5% of students and staff at Durham had reported having Covid-19. This meant that Durham had the highest number of cases as a percentage of staff and students, as well as the fifth highest number of total Covid-19 cases of all UK universities, according to data compiled by the University and College Union (UCU). Durham City was also identified as a Covid-19 hotspot by The Chronicle.

Cases of Covid-19 within the University have declined significantly since then due to the LFT pilot scheme which was originally rolled out to liver-in at Stephenson and St Marys Colleges, and then was made available to all students at the University.

The LFT pilot aims to reduce the spread of Covid-19 at the University by identifying people who are unaware that they have been infected with the virus, and enabling them to self isolate and book an NHS test.

Tests can be booked through DUO, and are being carried out at three sites around the City, including Palace Green, Maiden Castle and The Racecourse on Green Lane.