Durham University says that “the majority” of students will graduate with a final or interim degree

As the publication of exam results looms over students, the University has announced that, within the nationwide Marking and Assessment Boycott, “The majority of our students will graduate with a final degree or receive an interim award.”

In a letter issued by Professor Tony Fawcett, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education at Durham University, it was stated that students must have 120 final year credits to be awarded a final classified degree.

Whilst a “minority” of academic staff are engaging in the boycott, many are “concentrated in specific subject areas.”

Whilst a “minority” of academic staff are engaging in the boycott, many are “concentrated in specific subject areas”, resulting in a “particular impact” on certain subject areas

All students will receive a results transcript on the week commencing 26th June 2023 containing any current marks. For continuing students, the University has said that no student will be unable to progress to the next year of their degree as a result of the Marking and Assessment Boycott.

Resit examinations will still take place in August 2023 for continuing students who have one or more module mark that is less than 40%. The resit timetable will be published on Thursday 20th July 2023.

If not all marks are available during the resit period, resits will be scheduled during the next academic year.

For finalists, a final degree classification will only be rewarded when all marks are available. If the student has at least 80 credits, they will be rewarded an interim classified degree. The class of an interim degree cannot decrease when it becomes a final degree classification, but may be upgraded.

“We are using our usual rigorous processes to assess your work”

Professor Tony Fawcett

“Maintaining academic standards means making sure that students are awarded the right degree classification for the marks they have. We are using our usual rigorous processes to assess your work,” Professor Tony Fawcett announced.

“In addition, in making interim awards we have used higher than normal degree boundary marks so we are able to guarantee your final degree class may go up but will never go down.”

Students with at least 60 final year credits will receive an interim outcome of their marks on their pass list. Finalists with any fewer credits do not have enough marks for a classification, and will receive an interim transcript of available marks.

“There is no “definitive date” by which all results will be declared”

In the announcement to finalists, Professor Tony Fawcett said: “We sympathise and fully appreciate the anxiety that the uncertainty around your results may be causing you. All of you will graduate with a classified award as soon as a full set of marks is available.

“In addition, all students who receive an interim award will be invited to a graduation ceremony that will take place in the Spring of 2024. The University will make a financial contribution to expenses.” The University have said they will contribute towards robes, travel and accommodation costs for this ceremony.

Despite this, there is no “definitive date” by which all results will be declared.

In attempt to mitigate the impact of the Marking and Assessment Boycott on finalists, the University claims to be “liaising closely with other universities” to ensure that those going on to further study will not be compromised.

“We have given a guarantee to those students offered a postgraduate place with Durham that we won’t hold up their studies due to missing marks,” Professor Tony Fawcett announces.

The University stresses that mental health support is available for all students who have not yet officially graduated.

Image: Beauregard Sarbruis via Flickr

3 thoughts on “Durham University says that “the majority” of students will graduate with a final or interim degree

• What about students without a degree wanting pursue post graduate studies at another university from this September. No help or advice available from Durham other than mental health support. What about careers support or a dedicated help line?

• These guarantees are meaningless. Finalists would’ve gotten their final degree anyway in the case that all of their marks are available, no matter if anyone is striking or not. This is just utterly unfair for the students, being caught between the disputes of the exploitative university and the hypocritical staff that truly believe their rights to be more important than that of students.