Durham University ranked in Europe’s top 30 for teaching quality

By Anna Tatham

Durham University has been ranked 29th in the Times Higher Education’s Europe Teaching Rankings 2018.

The University received an overall score of 76.4%, which covers its resources, engagement, outcomes and environment.

This follows the University being recognised with a Gold Award, the highest possible accolade in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), last month.

The ranking is half based on the results of a THE European Student Survey of over 30,000 university students, which questioned whether teaching encourages critical thinking, if classes challenge students, and student interaction with staff.

The ranking utilises 13 individual performance metrics, which measure factors such as student outcomes, the diversity of institutions, and the resources for effective teaching.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor, commented: “To be ranked within the top 30 of European universities for our teaching standards is a great achievement, of which we are very proud.

“Following on from our recent Gold Award in TEF, this offers further endorsement of the calibre of our teaching staff and the University’s energetic focus on improving teaching quality, innovating pedagogic practice and providing state-of-the-art facilities.

“We are continuing to seek ways in which we can improve what we offer our students through enquiry-based learning, and to make Durham an ever more inclusive place to study. This approach is reflected in the University Strategy.”

The UK is the most represented country in the table, with 100 of its institutions, out of 240 universities across western and southern Europe, having been ranked.

The University of Oxford tops the 2018 table, followed by the University of Cambridge in second place and Sorbonne University in third.

The student-focused structure of the THE Europe Teaching Rankings means that the results differ significantly from the THE World University Rankings, which instead concentrate on research excellence.

Photograph: Barnyz via Flickr

@annatatha