Durham University announces first Associate PVC for health

Durham University has appointed Professor Charlotte Clarke as its first-ever Associate Pro-Vice-Chancellor (PVC) for health.

Professor Clarke, who currently works as the Executive Dean at the University’s Faculty of Social Science and Health, will take up the newly established role in September 2024. The University have announced they will be undertaking a “rigorous search” to find a replacement for her current position.

A statement posted on the University website said: “Professor Clarke will work across the University and with external partners to encourage and support world-leading health research and education, helping more people to thrive in the places they live, locally and globally.”

Professor Clarke will also serve as Director of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing, the University’s interdisciplinary institute focused on health and wellbeing research. In her role, it is expected she will work with a broad range of groups, including health practitioners, local and national government, researchers, and funders.

“Professor Clarke will work across the University and with external partners to encourage and support world-leading health research and education”

DURHAM UNIVERSITY

She enters the positions with a strong background in health and social science research, with a particular focus on health inequalities and dementia care policy. In 2012, she jointly edited the book Risk Assessment and Management for Living Well with Dementia, which won first prize in the 2012 British Medical Association Medical Book Award (health and social care).

Prior to joining the University, Professor Clarke worked as Dean International for the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Edinburgh, and has been a sub-panel member for national research quality assessment exercises conducted in 2008, 2014, and 2021.

This appointment represents the first newly created PVC position since the appointment of Dr Shaid Mahmood as PVC for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in 2021.

Regarding her appointment, Professor Clarke said: “I am delighted that the University has created this opportunity to work with colleagues and partners to take forward a focus on health.

“Charlotte is uniquely placed, highly esteemed and well connected to lead us in this mission”

DEPUTY VICE-CHANcellor mike shipman

“This is critical to our contribution to health and economic development in the region and ensures that we drive forward the strongest research and education opportunities for the welfare of communities, our planet and individuals across the globe.”

The University’s Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost, Professor Mike Shipman, also commented, stating: “Durham research, Durham education and Durham graduates are shaping health and wellbeing across the globe, from training and equipping local health practitioners to building resilience in the face of natural disasters.

“Our ambition is to extend our impact in changing lives for the better. Charlotte is uniquely placed, highly esteemed and well connected to lead us in this mission.”