Durham University and Newcastle University to begin new teacher training partnership

Durham University and Newcastle University are entering into a new partnership to support the delivery of Initial Teacher Training (ITT) in North East England from September 2024. 

ITT is a university-led approach and focuses on study and practical time in schools, providing a combination of academic study and time in schools. 

This partnership will open opportunities for the future training of teachers in the region through the provision of teacher training from both universities, drawing upon both universities’ expertise in education and research.

This partnership will open opportunities for the future training of teachers in the region through the provision of teacher training from both universities, drawing upon both universities’ expertise in education and research

Current Durham University students and prospective students who have applied for courses with Durham beginning in September 2023 will have their qualifications accredited by Durham University until their completion. 

This applies to all Primary and Secondary PGCE courses and Durham’s three-year undergraduate BA (Primary Education) degree programme. 

From September 2024, students who begin their ITT with Durham University will have their professional (Qualified Teacher Status) qualification accredited by Newcastle University, but their academic qualification – PGCE or BA – will remain a Durham University award. 

There will be no change for Newcastle’s PGCE students. 

Newcastle University said in a statement that “This partnership builds upon a long and rich legacy of teacher training at both Durham and Newcastle universities.

“It will ensure the two universities continue to provide high-quality teachers to local schools and will offer exciting opportunities to build upon and strengthen their contributions to teacher education both regionally and nationally.

“This partnership builds upon a long and rich legacy of teacher training at both Durham and Newcastle universities”

Newcastle University and Durham University

“Teachers have trained at Newcastle University for more than 130 years and the School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences has an international reputation for its research. Around 160 teachers are trained at Newcastle every year, working closely with more than 100 primary, secondary and middle schools across the region to ensure its students reach the highest standards of initial teacher training and education.”

Durham University continued this statement by stating that their school of education is “one of the leading schools of education in the UK which is ranked in the top 100 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023. We aim to expand the frontiers of educational knowledge and to inspire our students to become the future architects of an equitable and sustainable world. Our students go on to successful careers in a wide range of different sectors.”