Durham to host stage three of Tour of Britain cycle race

Durham will host part of this year’s Tour of Britain cycle race, after race organisers SweetSpot revealed earlier this month that Durham City will be the starting point for stage three of the prestigious race.

This will be the first time that Durham will host a starting point of the professional Tour of Britain Cycle race, with the start line for stage three being located outside Durham Cathedral. The news comes as County Durham reached the final shortlist in its bid to become the UK City of Culture 2025, with the cycle race representing a major boost to the county’s programme of cultural events.

Tour of Britain’s race director Mick Bennet said that “Stage three of this year’s Tour of Britain really does have it all on what will be our first visits to two fantastic cities: a start in historic Durham in the shadows of its castle and cathedral, an incredibly scenic route through some of the UK’s finest terrain and picturesque villages, and a finish outside Sunderland’s new City Hall.

“Through our previous visits to the North East we know how passionate and enthusiastic people are when it comes to sport, so I’m sure they’ll turn out in numbers for this free-to-watch, world-class event in September”.

“The route will showcase our stunning county…sport is a huge part of our culture”

Cllr elizabeth scott

Cllr Elizabeth Scott, Durham County Council’s Cabinet member for economy and partnerships, celebrated the news by saying that “We are absolutely thrilled the third stage of the Tour of Britain cycle race will start in Durham City this year.

“Equally exciting is the fact the route will showcase our stunning county. This reflects Durham’s shortlisted bid to be UK City of Culture 2025, which aims to secure the prestigious title for the whole county. Sport is a huge part of our culture and is integral to our bid”.

The Tour of Britain generated £29.96 million for the UK economy last year and drew crowds of over one million spectators. It will be available to watch in over 150 countries worldwide. The first two stages of this year’s race will be hosted in Scotland, before visiting County Durham for stage three. The tour will then race in North Yorkshire, Gloucestershire and Dorset, before finishing on the Isle of Wight.

Last year’s race was won by Belgian rider Wout Van Aert, though the overall lead changed hands five times in the eight days during the race. The Tour of Britain will be available to watch daily for free on ITV 4, with stage three taking place on the 6th of September.

Image Credit: Tom Pyle

https://www.dunelm.org.uk/donations/palatinate

One thought on “Durham to host stage three of Tour of Britain cycle race

• Hi,
    As one embarks on a cycling journey, the initial push of the pedal propels the bicycle forward, setting the wheels into a fluid motion. The wind becomes a constant companion, whispering secrets and stories of distant lands. With each choose one rotation, the landscape transforms, revealing hidden treasures along the way. Vibrant meadows adorned with wildflowers, towering forests that echo with the calls of creatures, and tranquil lakes that mirror the sky all become part of the cyclist’s personal canvas.