Durham student wins £32,000 on ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?’

Hani Abdellatif, a Masters student from Hatfield College, won £32,000 on Saturday evening’s episode of ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?’

The politics student entered the game by correctly answering the starter question of “Put these words for types of accommodation in alphabetical order” with “Maisonette, Manor, Mansion & Motel”.

Hani began the game well, gaining £100 by knowing where you’d buy a theatre ticket and £200 with the correct title of Jonathan Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels”. Knowledge of the penny-farthing bicycle and the city where you’d find a “Brummie” brought him up to £500.

“Well, these questions are very easy – If I wasn’t zooming along it would be ridiculous”

The former Labour Club Co-Chair’s quickfire start saw him reach £1,000 without using any lifelines. 

Jeremy Clarkson, the show’s new host, paused before the £2000 question to point out Adbellatif’s confidence, to which he replied “Well, these questions are very easy – If I wasn’t zooming along it would be ridiculous”, whilst also claiming previous contestants had been too cautious.

A slight doubt in the Morse Code for “SOS” could have proved his downfall, however he successfully stated that “S” was represented by three consecutive dots.

The confidence continued, successfully getting the English translation for Day of the Dead correct for £4000. Despite being unsure, the 23-year-old correctly identified the Latin American dance inspired by the movement of a matador during a bullfight as “Paso doble”. His reason for knowing? “I have a very good memory, and I watch Strictly”.

He became stuck on the question for £16,000 – “Which of Queen Elizabeth II’s children was the first to get married?”. Using his 50/50, the remaining answers were Anne and Edward. Still unsure, he used his next life line to ask Clarkson. The host was “90% certain” that it was Anne, to which Latif agreed. After the inconveniently placed advert break, he was revealed as correct.

Knowledge of the opera that the stage musical ‘Miss Saigon’ was based upon saw Abdellatif reach his eventual winning amount.

Having set his safety net at £32,000, he began what would be his last correct answer for £64,000 with the two life lines of ‘ask the audience’ and ‘phone a friend’ remaining. Being asked “The Skagerrak and Kattegat straits form part of the link between the Baltic Sea and which other sea?”, he confidently used process of elimination to answer the question with “North Sea”.

Going with the audience by answering “St Paul’s Cathedral”, Clarkson broke the news that it was, in fact, the wrong answer

Being asked for the building that appears on a £10 note for £128,000 was too much for Abdellatif. Using ask the audience, that gave the answer as “St Paul’s Cathedral”. Still unsure, his life line of ‘phone a friend’ was used to ring Daniel Morgan-Thomas, a friend from University. He claimed that both Windsor Castle or St Paul’s Cathedral could be correct. Going with the audience by answering “St Paul’s Cathedral”, Clarkson broke the news that it was, in fact, the wrong answer, leaving Hani Abdellatif going home with £32,000.

Photograph via Wikimedia Creative Commons