Durham Regatta returns to the Wear

The historic Durham Regatta returns for its 189th instalment this Saturday and Sunday.

The Regatta, which attracted 10,000 spectators and 1,400 competitors last year, is an eagerly anticipated and popular event among Durham students, residents and visiting tourists and rowers alike. As well as featuring short course and long course races between both college and external rowing teams, the Regatta’s bankside enclosure includes a range of stalls and bandstand entertainment as well as a classic car showcase.

Durham University’s own PalTV will be providing a live broadcast of the event over two days, including races, behind-the-scenes coverage and rowing commentary.

It is the second-oldest rowing regatta in England, and until 2020, when it was cancelled due to Covid-19, it had been held every June since 1834. Some consider it the northern equivalent of the prestigious Henley Royal Regatta.

Until 2020, when it was cancelled due to Covid-19, it had been held every June since 1834

The event will be held from Saturday 11th to Sunday 12th June and heats will include Durham’s college teams, however Palatinate understands that some members of DU rowing teams will be absent.

This is understood to be a result of qualification rules for Henley Royal Regatta, to be held at the end of June. These rules limit the number of teams rowers can compete for to be eligible for the Regatta. Some Durham rowers were reportedly told that “if anyone takes part in Durham Regatta at all as a cox or as a rower then they can’t go to Henley.”

Image: Creative Commons via Wikipedia