Durham ranked amongst the top ten cities for vegans, pub-goers, and academic achievers

Durham has been ranked as the 5th best university city in the UK for vegans, the 5th best university city for its bar scene, and the 9th best university for students achieving top grades upon graduating.

The were published by Student Beans, an alternative online university guide which ranks institutions using factors beyond course satisfaction and accommodation scores to produce their own rankings.

Durham ranked 5th in the league table for “top university cities for vegans”, which was calculated based on the number of vegan restaurants per capita. Durham houses 60 plant-based friendly restaurants, which places the city behind Bath, Nottingham, Chester, and Brighton in the rankings, but ahead of cities including Oxford, Cambridge, Norwich, Edinburgh and Stirling.

Research by Student Beans noted how such information about vegan options is becoming increasingly important for prospective students; “Last year, Student Beans found almost a fifth of university students follow some form of a plant-based diet. That equates to almost half a million students who are trimming down their meat intake.”

“It’s important that students have ample access to information around their possible universities”

jessica pinkett

Durham also placed 5th in Student Beans’ ranking of “top university cities for bar scenes”, calculated based on the number of bars and pubs per capita. Warwick was ranked as the best city for its bar scene followed by Bath, Stirling and Chichester, but Durham has ranked ahead of the likes of York, Brighton, Norwich, Worcester and Carlisle.

In the Student Beans’ league table that ranks universities with the highest amount of first-honours achievers, Durham placed 9th overall after 46% of graduates secured a 1st class degree in 2021. University College London (UCL) ranked top with 57% of graduates securing a 1st.

In its blog about Durham University which accompanied the rankings, Student Beans stated that “the Uni boasts above average course satisfaction, great postgraduate career success and an abundance of top-level first-class degrees.” The blog also noted several recommended cocktail and coffee spots in the city.

Jessica Pinkett, Head of Youth Insights at Student Beans, stressed how their campaign is significant for A-Level students having to make last-minute backup university decisions. She said how “A number of disappointed students are going to have a lot of overwhelming choices to make on results day.

“Choosing their top universities previously took them months to decide, based on lengthy research, campus visits, and open days. It’s important that students have ample access to information around their possible universities so they can make informed decisions with their Clearing options.”