Durham ranked among the UK’s top five universities for the seventh consecutive year

10210726545_bd53e4bbfd_zBy Ryan Gould 

Durham University has retained its status as one of the UK’s top five universities, placing fifth in the Complete University Guide’s (CUG) ranking of British universities for 2016.

The league tables, released today, marks the University as among the top five universities in the UK for the seventh consecutive year.

The University, which climbed to fourth in 2011, has held fifth place since 2012. The CUG ranks 90% of Durham’s subjects as among the top ten, making the University one of only four broad-subject institutions to achieve this result.

In addition, the English department secured first place for the third consecutive year, while the University was also ranked third for its spend on facilities, “evidencing the University’s commitment to providing the very best in academic, social, and recreational facilities to create an exceptional student experience.

The CUG combines student satisfaction, research quality, research intensity, entry standards, student-staff ratio, spending on academic services, spending on student facilities, good honours degrees achieved, graduate prospects, and completion rates to formulate its rankings.

Acting Vice-Chancellor, Professor Ray Hudson, said: “This is excellent for the University and confirms that Durham is amongst the top broad-subject universities in the country.

“We are particularly pleased that 90% of our subjects are ranked in the UK top ten. Durham’s exceptional students and leading academics together create an excellent educational experience that equips our students well for the next stage in their lives.

“Our sustained success is achieved by the truly distinctive nature of our offering, where our world-class academic departments are complemented by our collegiate system that allows students to develop beyond the classroom, a combined education that makes our graduates some of the most sought after in the world.”

Durham is ranked among the world’s top 100 universities, where it placed 81st in the Times Higher Education (THE) World Reputation Review for 2015, and is among the world’s top 25 for the employability of its students by blue-chip companies worldwide, according to the QS World University for 2014/15.

Photograph: Joyce Uerpairojkit