Durham protesters tell Donald Trump “you are NOT WELCOME!”

By Clara Gaspar

Dozens of people have turned out to protest Donald Trump’s visit to the UK at Redhill Miners’ Club in Durham.

Labour politicians, union members and local people came together to protest the President’s visit ahead of the Durham Miners’ Gala tomorrow. In total around 100 people were in attendance.

Speakers at the protest included the Chair of the Labour Party Ian Lavery, Shadow Health Secretary John Ashworth, Shadow Education Secretary Angela Rayner and singer- songwriter Billy Bragg.

Unite, the UK’s largest union, unfurled a 40ft ‘Trump not Welcome’ banner for the event, in solidarity with demonstrations taking place simultaneously across the country. Many attendees held ‘Trump Not Welcome’ placards.

In his speech Lavery told the crowd: “Let us send a strong message from the Durham Miners, Donald Trump you are NOT WELCOME!”

Fellow Labour politician, Angela Rayner, said: “When you think of the integrity of our trade union movement – there is no clearer example of the opposite of this in Donald Trump.”

Organisations supporting the protests alongside Unite include the Durham Miners’ Associations, the Fire Brigades Union (FBU), University and College Union (UCU), Communication Workers Union (CWU), the GMB, National Education Union (NEU), Transport and Salaried Staff Association (TSSA), train drivers union Aslef and public services union Unison.

Unite regional secretary for North East, Yorkshire and Humberside Karen Reay said the union is in solidarity with the anti-Trump protests: “The Durham Miners’ Gala is when workers and trade unionists from across the UK gather together in camaraderie.

“Donald Trump’s politics of intolerance, divide and division have no place in the UK and are totally rejected by workers and trade unionists.”

The Durham Miners’ Association secretary Alan Cummings said: “It is important that Donald Trump and his entourage understand that throughout the length and breadth of the UK workers are opposed to his politics and his policies of intolerance.”

Aayush Kaina, a second year Durham student attending the protest, told Palatinate: “I am attending the protest today because I think it’s imperative to stand up to people who speak without considering the consequences of their words. For him to claim people in the UK “like him a lot” is the farthest thing from the truth.

“His xenophobic, sexist, homophobic and racist attitudes and policies have no place in the UK, and his recent immigration policies of separating babies from heir parents and compelling them to argue for themselves in a court of law is not only ridiculous, but unconstitutional.”

Meanwhile, MP for Durham City, Roberta Blackman-Woods, attended the anti-Trump protest in London.

@ClaraGGaspar @ClaraGGaspar 

Photograph: Shelly Asquith

2 Responses