Durham postgraduate student accused of Grey thefts

A Durham postgraduate student has appeared in court accused of breaking into Grey College.

Juan Carlos Miramontes Martinez, originally from Mexico and studying for a Masters, appeared at Durham Crown Court via video link from Durham prison.

Alongside the accusation of being equipped for burglary, Martinez faces three counts of burglary, including alleged aggravated break-in.

The incidents allegedly took place on 5th January, when most students were at home for the Christmas vacation.

Martinez was reportedly arrested in the early hours of the morning in a female toilet block, and was found with a bag of tools and property stolen from a female student’s room.

Palatinate understands a total of 46 personal letters from the college’s Reception had been stolen, as well as jewellery and other property from student accommodation.

The incidents allegedly took place when most students were at home for Christmas

Grey College’s Master, Professor Tom Allen, confirmed the break-in had taken place in an email to all Grey students at the end of January.

Professor Allen’s email confirmed that police had arrested the suspect, and that “they did a search of the suspect’s residence, and discovered a number of letters addressed to Grey students.”

However, the email made no mention of the theft of jewellery and personal property.

Palatinate contacted the University following Professor Allen’s email to ask what measures they planned to take to ensure such an incident does not take place again. The University declined to provide further comment, due to the incident’s ongoing legal proceedings.

Image: DS Pugh / Victor Watts Library