Durham music band reach competition’s area final

by

A Durham University based band has reached the area final of a competition looking for Britain’s best unsigned musical act.

Moist, whose four members are all Durham students, will be taking part in the Scotland and North East final of Live and Unsigned 2012 next month, in which over 10,000 acts entered nationwide.

The band will be performing at the Mill Volvo Tyne Theatre in Newcastle on 12th May, as the acts battle for a spot at the final in London in July. This will take place at the O2 arena as part of Live Fest, London’s largest indoor festival. The best acts from the six area finals will do battle to win amongst other prizes a £10,000 cash prize and a UK festival tour.

Moist have already been interviewed for a Sky 1 documentary about the competition. The group also has a chance of receiving one of more than 100 festival slots, which are being given away as the competition progresses.

Having made it through the regional rounds, Moist band member Alex Danson was excited about the opportunities ahead. He said: “It is a high profile competition and we have already got quite far. One more performance and we’ll be playing the O2, from where a variety of opportunities could come”.

Chris Grayston, Event Director of Live and Unsigned, emphasised the success already achieved by the band: “When you consider the amount of entries we had this year it’s a big deal to have got to this stage”.

Tickets to see Moist perform in the area final in Newcastle are available for £8 from Alex Danson (alex.danson@durham.ac.uk). For more information about the competition, visit http://www.liveandunsigned.uk.com/.

Photograph: Andrew Benge photography