Durham moves up four places in QS World University Rankings

Durham University has ranked in 82nd place in the 2022 QS World University , moving up four places from its previous 86th position in the world, its lowest position in five years.

The also place Durham University in 54th place for global Employer Reputation, and 96th in the world for citations per faculty.

The international student ranking for Durham has also risen by 11 places, to 103rd position. This element ranks universities according to their attractiveness to prospective international students.

Durham University has ranked above the University of Birmingham and the University of St. Andrews, but is ranked below the University of Southampton as well as the University of Glasgow and the University of Manchester.

Commenting on Durham’s ranking in the QS 100 world in an interview with Palatinate, Durham University Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stuart Corbridge, said: “The truth is it bobs around. Even in my time it’s gone between about 91 and 61.

“We are a top 100 global university. And if you think that they’ve ranked 1,300, and you’ve seen a tremendous rise of universities, particularly in East Asia, it’s a great performance, and it reflects incredibly well on the University”.

The QS assessed 1,673 institutions worldwide and the are based on academic and employer reputation, research citations and the productivity and impact of the work published by academics, among other factors.

Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor of Durham University, said: “Durham is one of  the world’s great universities and one of the most distinctive. We aim to inspire our students  and staff to achieve extraordinary things and I am delighted that this has been recognised by  our success in the QS World University 2022.  

“It is particularly pleasing that employers globally recognise the quality of our education and  our graduates. Prospective students considering Durham can know that a Durham degree  makes them stand out from the crowd.” 

Jack Moran, QS spokesperson, said: “Durham University’s latest ascent in the QS World  University is driven by the high esteem in which it is held by both the global  academic community, and graduate employers. 

“This is a testament to the outstanding work done by its faculty, leadership, and all other staff who strive to make Durham both a world-class research institution, and one that prepares students successfully for the myriad  challenges they face after graduating.” 

In addition to the QS , Durham University has moved up to 5th place from its previous 7th position in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2022 , also announced today.

The Complete University Guide ranks Durham above Imperial College London, Loughborough University and University College London (UCL), but below the University of Oxford, which secured the top ranking, the University of Cambridge, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and University of St. Andrews.

Durham’s position in the Times Higher Education (THE) world rankings fell by 16 places last year. Since 2013, Durham’s World Ranking has declined from 80th to 149th.

Durham University is ranked 25th in the Times Higher Education (THE) International Universities Rankings and was placed 87th in the THE’s Global Impact Rankings 2021 for overall contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).