Durham loses first round of University Challenge

Durham University’s team has lost their first match of this year’s University Challenge, scoring 90 points to Trinity College, Cambridge’s 190.

Durham’s loss means that to secure a place in the competition’s next round, they must emerge from the first round as one of the four highest scoring losing teams, who will then compete against each other for two spots in the final 16.

Durham’s team is made up of Jack Griffiths (Theoretical Physics), Charlie Hetherington (Physics), Isaiah Silvers (History) and Emily Mitchell (English Literature).

Captained by Mitchell, Durham found more success with rounds discussing Physics, Geochronology and US politics but could not catch up with their competitor’s lead.

Trinity got off to a strong start answering questions about the geography of Africa, film adaptations of Victorian novels, and chemistry.

Captained by Mitchell, Durham found more success with rounds discussing physics, geochronology and US politics but could not catch up with their competitor’s lead.

In the previous series, Durham’s team ended their competition run in the quarter-finals, losing to Imperial College London. Durham was defeated at the semi-finals stage in the previous two years, losing to Edinburgh University in 2019 and Corpus Christi, Cambridge in 2020.

Since the competition first started in 1962, Durham has won University Challenge twice – in 1977 and 2000.

Image: BBC