Durham defeat York to reclaim Varsity trophy

By Tim Sigsworth

On Sunday 24th February, Durham triumphed 65-46 over York as sporting representatives from each of our sixteen colleges battled it out in eleven different sports throughout the day.

Intercollegiate rivalries were put aside for the day, with victories for A teams being rewarded with five points and victories for B teams with three.

A flying start saw Volleyball A, represented by Division One leaders Ustinov, and B, represented by Premiership third-place John Snow, secure an initial 8-0 lead for the hosts.

Durham then consolidated this with victories for Netball B (St. Cuthbert’s), Women’s Rugby A (Van Mildert) and B (St. Aidan’s) making it 16-6 after the first six matches.

York certainly weren’t going down without a fight and clawed it back to 16-14

The six points had come from Squash B, and Netball B. York had beaten Trevelyan and St Cuthbert’s Society respectively.

York certainly weren’t going down without a fight and clawed it back to 16-14 after their Netball A (Derwent) and Men’s Rugby B (James) defeated St. Aidan’s and Grey’s respectively.

as the rest of the afternoon matches took place, the hosts were in control

Defeats for Women’s Football B (St. John’s), and Tennis B (St. Mary’s) were offset by wins for Squash A (Hild Bede), Mixed Basketball B (Josephine Butler), Mixed Basketball A (Hild Bede) and Women’s Football A (Josephine Butler) as Durham pulled away once again to take a 34-23 lead after the first fourteen matches.

So as the rest of the afternoon matches took place, the hosts were in control, looking ahead to reclaiming the trophy.

Wins for Lacrosse B (Castle), A (St. Chad’s) and Hockey B (Grey) extended the lead further but a mixed bag of results over the next six games saw York come back into contention.

Although Men’s Rugby A (Van Mildert) and Pool B (St. John’s) ran out 27-26 and 7-2 winners respectively, losses for Tennis A (Collingwood), Men’s Football B (Hatfield), Hockey A (Collingwood) and Men’sFootball A (Collingwood) meant that a Durham victory was by no means assured.

The day was set for a tense finish as, with 56 points required for victory, it was 55-46 to Durham with two matches worth five points each still to play.

However, Darts A (Grey) and Pool A (Ustinov) both kept their cool to secure wins and regain the Trophy from York just one year after losing 55-73.

Congratulations to all involved.

Image: Luke Snell Photography, Nouse