Durham climbs to 74th in global university league table

By Helena Snider

Durham University has climbed to 74th in the latest global university rankings.

The University moved up four places overall, from 78th last year, in the QS World University Rankings 2019, an annual publication of university rankings by education company Quacquarelli Symonds.

The rankings take into consideration a university’s academic reputation, employer reputation, research citations per faculty, the ratio of academic staff to students and the ratios of international staff and students.

The increase puts Durham in the top eight per cent of 1,011 global higher education institutions ranked.

In employer reputation, Durham University is ranked 33rd globally – up one place from last year – and in the top 10 nationally for the quality of its graduates, which is based upon more than 42,000 responses from the world’s leading businesses.

Durham is also ranked in the top three universities in the UK and 57th globally for citations – a rise of 25 places.

Durham University Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stuart Corbridge, said: “Durham is a world lead- ing university with significant strengths in research, teaching and the student experience across all academic subjects and associ- ated activities.

“To have risen in the latest QS World University Rankings is a credit to the hard work and talent of our staff and students.

“These are exciting times for the University and we aim to build on our continuing World Top 100 success by investing in new facilities and attracting the very best academics to Durham to enhance our distinctive and high quality offer.

“This will ensure that we continue to produce first rate research which makes a difference in the world, while also producing the outstanding future-ready graduates who are so valued by leading employers.”

Ben Sowter, Research Director at QS, said: “This year, Durham has retained its status as one of the UK’s foremost higher education institutions, with strong per- formance for both the nurturing of graduate employability, and for research.

“It remains one of the top ten UK institutions according to over 42,000 employers across the world, while only two universities in the country can boast a higher research impact.

“These results are a credit to the innovation, quality of graduate, and capacity for collaboration present at the University.”

The overall QS world ranking is the latest league table success for Durham following on from the 2018 QS World University Subject Rankings when the University achieved its best results to date with nine individual subjects in the top 50 and a total of 16 subjects in the top 100.

Durham is also 97th globally in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2018.

Nationally, Durham is consistently recognised as one of the top universities in the UK and is ranked fifth in both the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 and the Guardian University Guide 2019, and sixth in The Complete University Guide 2019.

Photograph: Barnyz via Flickr