Durham City Run Festival set to make a return this summer

Durham City Run Festival is set to return to its iconic location for the first time since Covid with participants once again finishing the race in Palace Green. The festival is set to be held from the 13th to the 15th of July.  

This means races will once again start on Saddler Street and finish on Palace Green. 

The race, which allows entrants to compete in 5k and 10k runs, had been moved to allow for social distancing during Covid-19, something that saw the event cancelled in 2020. 

Races will once again start on Saddler Street and finish on Palace Green

Launched in 2016, 2023 also sees the return of Paula Radcliffe’s Families on Track, the Run Like a Legend Mile, XO Urban Orienteering and themed runs. 

The festival will also coincide once again with the Durham BRASS Festival, another important celebration in Durham’s calendar. . 

The event, organised by Events of the North, is done in partnership with Durham County Council and Durham University. 

Founder of the Durham City Run Festival, Steve Cram said he felt “over the moon to be returning to Palace Green”. 

He went on to describe it saying it was “an absolutely stunning location and while the final climb up the hill might test tired legs, we know that our runners loved crossing the finishing line beneath Durham Cathedral and Castle.”

Councillor Elizabeth Scott from Durham County Council celebrated the event saying “The Durham City Run Festival is always a favourite and its return to the iconic Palace Green will make for the best kind of photo finish. Once again, it will coincide with Durham BRASS Festival and hosting this kind of combination of events brings the potential to pull in lots of visitors with all sorts of interests. 

“The Durham City Run Festival is always a favourite and its return to the iconic Palace Green will make for the best kind of photo finish”

Cllr Elizabeth Scott

“These are just two of the many great cultural events taking place in County Durham this year. There’s certainly plenty to look forward to and we’re really looking forward to welcoming people and seeing them have a great time.”

Director of student enrichment at Durham University Quentin Sloper echoed this saying “We’re very much looking forward to being part of the Durham City Run Festival again this year,” 

“We are excited to be playing an active part in an event which provides a great platform for students, staff, the wider community and visitors to our city to join together and celebrate sport and physical activity.”