Durham Cat Café to reopen tomorrow

The Pawsome Cat Café, a café in Durham City where customers can socialise with cats, is set to reopen to customers tomorrow, on Friday 21st May. 

The Café, which has been closed since November due to Covid-19 restrictions, will offer customers a free drink with entry.

The Pawsome Cat Café is home to six resident cats: Poncho, a Selkirk Rex breed cat who is described as “calm, affectionate, and sometimes playful”, and Alvin, a Chinchilla Persian, who “loves to sleep by your side and have his fur brushed”.

The Café is also home to Wally, a rare Scottish Fold, who “likes attention all the time”, Simon, a British shorthair, who “sometimes meows to ask for your attention”, and Betty, a British Blue, who is described as “quite shy but playful when she feels like it”, as well as Olive, the Café’s newest resident, who is described as an “Exotic” breed with the “loudest purr”. 

During the most recent national lockdown, the cats were taken out of the Café to be looked after by the Café’s owner.

The Pawsome Cat Café fosters rescue cats, and, according to their website, their mission is to work with local rescue centres to “help strays and cats in need of new homes”.

The website also states that all of the cats are vet-registered and vaccinated and that their wellbeing is monitored by “experienced staff” who are “carefully chosen” so that they are a “perfect fit” for the cats.

Due to Covid-19 regulations, customers will be required to wear a mask in the Café when they are not eating or drinking, and only eight people will be allowed to enter per hour.

The Café will be open Tuesday-Sunday from 10am-6pm, and the entrance fee is £6. Bookings can be made on the Café’s website

The Pawsome Cat Café is located on North Road and opened in August 2020. It is the sister café of the Quayside Cat Café in Newcastle.