Durham announces deferral bursaries of up to £1500 in the form of college accommodation discounts

Durham University has announced that its ‘deferral bursary’ will come in the form of discounts on college accommodation fees up to the value of £1500, and will be based on a student’s household income.

Last week, it was announced that students who chose to defer to 2021 would be guaranteed a place on their course and college accommodation, as well as a “bursary to help with the transition into university life”. This bursary will be determined by a student’s household income.

Students with an annual household income below £25,00 will receive the maximum discount of £1500, while students between £25,000 and £42,500 will receive £1,000 off their accommodation fees. Students with a household income above £42,500 will receive the minimum £500 discount. This bursary discount or ‘”Transition Support” fund will be offered in addition to the Durham Grant Scheme.

It has also been announced that all students whose A Level grades now meet the terms of their Durham offer will be able to choose whether to take up their studies in 2020 or 2021. 

Those who elect for 2020 will be guaranteed a place on their course, and “have full membership of a College, but not necessarily the college of your original first preference”. These students will either live in college “or in College-arranged accommodation in the City with other students” which “may be self-catered”.

Students who choose to defer will be guaranteed accommodation in the college of their “original first choice”.

Students must contact the University Admissions department to confirm their place for 2020 or 2021 by 31st August.

Previously, the University had signalled its plan to offer bursaries in a statement last Wednesday confirming that all students who met their offer grades, whether using the algorithm-moderated marks on results day or their Centre Assessed Grades (CAGs), will be admitted to Durham either this year or next.

This policy was in the wake of the Department for Education and Ofqual’s announcement that the standardisation model used for A Levels in England, which had downgraded nearly 40% of grades, was to be scrapped in favour of Centre Assessed Grades (CAGs) for all students.

As a result, there has been a large increase in students meeting the conditions of their offers and receiving top grades. The revised results show 38.1% of grades at an A or above, compared to 25.2% in 2019.

Durham University has previously asked offer-holders to be patient, saying they should be “safe in the knowledge that we will act as quickly as we can once we are in receipt of these results”.

Image: Fellwalker via Creative Commons